Our deck insulation kit is for use when installing a gas fire pit on a wood or composite deck. The insulation provides flame and excess heat protection around input flex line connections. This basalt insulation is for inside the fire pit enclosure or bowl and meant to place over a layer of paver blocks (1" min. thickness) commonly found at your local builder's store. Incoming gas stub must protrude through the deck, paver blocks and insulation for fire pit flex line connection. Kit includes basalt insulation and instructions. Basalt insulation measures 39.3" x 39.3" (1 square meter). Larger fire pits will require more pieces, insulation is easily cut with utility knife.
- For larger fire pits, use multiple pieces together of the Basalt materials following the same construction principles from this manual
- It is recommended that the entire bottom of the inside of the fire pit be covered with the brick pavers and basalt material. There is a minimum of 1' radius of basalt material from the supply line. The entire bottom of the fire pit must still be covered with the pavers to ensure they stay in place
- For smaller or narrower fire pits that are less than 2’ wide on the inside, cut the basalt material 1" longer than the width of the inside of the fire pit while maintaining minimum 2' for the length
- For additional information on installing fire bowls and construction for combustible deck systems,see "Deck Insulation Kit – Install" drawing
- Always ensure the decking material will allow for the additional weight of the fire pit